Wednesday 16 October 2013

Pet Peeve

You know what's more harmful than a chain mail that tells you that - unless you share this a one-eyed clown is going to appear in your cupboard and hack you to death with an axe made of human bone?
It's a shared post that promises some miraculous event if you are good enough to share it with your friends. Now, don't get me wrong - these posts often have a feel good vibe, and I'm a sort-of believer in karma - (there's a scientific cause&effect explanation in there somewhere), but I cannot tolerate them.
I do not want to log onto my facebook and find that my friends have posted a image telling me angels have seen my plight and can grantee me that it's over.

Because reading a text post online, superimposed onto some generic background of a woman in a white-dress with pearly wings, does not automatically mean that the things I have been struggling with have vanished.

Tomorrow I will wake up with the same problems I went to bed with. My mother will not be miraculously cured over night, my insomnia and own health-problems won't dissipate with the rising of the sun, and the looming deadlines I will no doubt struggle to meet won't magically be set back a convenient few weeks.
What's more, the gall of these images to then tell me to selflessly 'Share' the post in order for it to reach out my friends is just frighteningly sickening.

At the least I have the good sense not to fall pray to this bollocks -  I'm not going to wake up tomorrow expecting to find out someone discovered a miracle cure and that the world is now dandy. I am not going to approach life with the understanding that my struggling is over - because that would be like throwing someone overboard a ship and telling them that it's ok - they are no longer drowning.
Perhaps on a psychological level it might help, until of course - because they stop thrashing around in order not to drown - the rocks in their pockets drag 'em under.

Not only that, but it's presumptuous - what kind of person creates a post that claims to grant wishes or give blessings? Either someone naive, or with enough of a raging god-complex to think they can do it...Or worse, someone who does it for the notes. For the small spark of fame they won't actually have, and the self-satisfaction of seeing desperate people gobble it up.

The moral of it all - don't write these things, they're harmful and upsetting and don't serve nearly enough of a good purpose to warrant their existence...And if YOU see a post that promises miracles, look out for the key instruction which suggests it would be for everyone's benefit if you reblogged/shared/liked/sent it on...Because unless it contains a police-warning, or a helpful lifeskill, I wouldn't trust any Angel that dictates the measure of a person's worth and deserving through their ability to share spam.

No comments:

Post a Comment